At the health centre we have a strong focus on illness prevention and health promotion, in addition to treating illness. Health promotion builds on individual and community strengths to improve health and well-being.
In promoting health we look also at determinants of health. These are broad factors that affect health like income, housing, social environments, etc. In our role to promote health we may address some of these issues through the development of supports, advocacy, or programs and services.
Health promotion activities may involve:
- participation in public policy development,
- working with local groups to encourage healthy behaviours and make positive changes to our environment, and,
- working with individuals to gain knowledge and support to practice healthy lifestyles.
We work with community groups to identify concerns and develop action plans to improve the health of our communities through:
- Educational opportunities
- Coordination of resources
We have a resource library available for all community members. You may borrow books and videos on a wide variety of health topics. The resource library is located in the main waiting area.