PRIMARY HEALTH CARE
Primary health care is offered to registered clients of the Health Centre. Primary health care responds to clients' needs from infancy to old age. Providers address acute and chronic health needs, preventive care, rehabilitative care and palliative care. Primary health care considers the client as an individual within the context of their family, society and environment.
- We encourage clients to see a physician or nurse practitioner for a complete health review at least every two years. Those who have chronic illness will need to book yearly.
- Early detection of illness can be important for early treatment and best outcomes.
- Screening for health concerns at certain times over the lifespan can help keep you healthy. Even if you are well, it is important to think about your health for:
- Early prenatal care
- Well baby care and immunization
- Adolescent physicals
- Health checks when over the age of 50 years
- Health checks if you have significant family history of illness (e.g., diabetes, breast cancer)
- You can book an appointment by calling the reception desk during regular hours of operation.
- Make sure you book well ahead for non-urgent concerns including medication renewals.
- If your concern is urgent, reception or nursing staff will assess your health needs and book an appointment for the earliest time with an available provider.
- Health care providers will make home visits for clients who cannot get to the health centre for reasons related to their medical condition.
- Please call us as a first contact for all your health care needs. However, if your concern requires emergency attention you should call 911 immediately or go directly to the nearest hospital emergency department.
- We provide on-call care for clients registered with each of our sites to address urgent primary health care needs.
- On-call care is provided outside of regular hours of operation, including weekends, by a physician or nurse practitioner.
- You can access on-call by phoning the health centre. You will hear a message giving you the phone number of our pager. When you call the pager number you can leave a message and the provider will call you back.
Individual and Family Counselling
We provide individual, couple and family counseling to registered clients. Clients may be referred to counseling by their primary care provider or you may also request counseling by calling and speaking with a counselor.